Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Current Dietary Guidelines
Dietary Guidelines for American, 2020-2025
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025 provides advice on what to eat and drink to meet nutrient needs, promote health, and help prevent chronic disease. This edition of the Dietary Guidelines is the first to provide guidance for healthy dietary patterns by life stage, from birth through older adulthood, including women who are pregnant or lactating.
Dietary Assessment Tools
Individual Dietary Assessment
This resource from the USDA includes tools such as:
- Healthy Eating Index (HEI)
- Fat Intake Screener
- Fruit, Vegetable and Fiber Screener
- Healthy Body Calculator
Dietary Assessment Instruments for Research
The USDA also provides the following instruments:
- USDA Healthy Eating Index
- Diet History Questionnaire
- Dietary Assessment Calibration /Validation Register
- The science of sustaining health behavior change: the health maintenance consortium
- Measures Registry (Childhood Obesity Research)
- Automated Self-administered 24-Hour Dietary Assessment Tool (ASA24)
- Short Dietary Assessment Instruments
Literature Databases & Resources
Nutrition, Diet, and Weight
Patient education items from INTEGRIS Health's clinical decision tool UpToDate
Food and Nutrition
Information for patients from the U.S. National Library of Medicine's online health information resource MedlinePlus.
A gateway to reliable information on nutrition, healthy eating, physical activity, and food safety for consumers. Overseen by the FNIC, NAL, ARS, and FDA.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics presents a dynamic website containing a wealth of nutrition information for consumers, featuring articles, tips, videos, recipes, online games, and app reviews.